Friday, March 13, 2009

Things we have learned over the past 6 months

Today marks 6 months since we began our time here in Belize. Things certainly have not been what we imagined, both in good and bad ways. We know God wanted us here, so we are keeping an open attitude of learning. We are learning much about what it truly means to love the least of these, and also just as much about ourselves, both our strengths and weaknesses. Here are some others things we have learned in our time here thus far:

  • We are not nearly as tough as we thought we were
  • You can reuse a styrofoam plate MULTIPLE times
  • Spoiled milk still tastes bad no matter how much chocolate you put in it
  • We took for-granted friends and family
  • Pot holes in the US are not really that bad after all
  • You can actually get some meat off a chicken neck
  • Pig skin (with hair) is hard to cut off a piece of pork
  • Hot weather is even hotter when you can’t escape it
  • Americans (including us) are so spoiled
  • Cold showers are not always that bad
  • Saying you depend on God is very different than actually doing it
  • You can’t escape country music
  • Getting 30+ bug bites over night while sleeping SUCKS
  • There is a difference between beans and rice and rice and beans
  • The things we thought we would miss most, are actually what we miss the least
  • We miss fellowship with family and friends more than anything
  • God's love for us is so unconditional that we have no excuse to not love others in the very same way

oh yeah, paying $17.95 bz (~$9 bucks) for ranch was worth every penny!

2 comments:

Betty Hodge said...

Wow and I thought 4bucks for Ranch was high. I actually haven't bought it in a really long time but Mike went shopping last week and got a bottle and I was like YUM Ive missed my Ranch LOL!

Thats an awesome list. I know we are all spoiled and it makes me sick at times when I see how spoiled I am when others have NOTHING and would be SO much more grateful for a 10th of what I have or can do in my life. ugh!
Im actually struggling right now with a bit of that. I feel this tug at my heart that I need to be at home. I dont feel that I have the time to teach my children the important things that I want them to have in them. Even, just taking care of their "stuff" and appreciating it. Then theres my home, how I want it for my husband and children, my attitude...ha..after working 10hrs a day, coming home to cook/clean, well my attitude it not what I want to express to them either.
So now that you have an idea of that part of it, now the other side. I feel that I am an able body that can work and help out with money. However my money is just spending and groceries money. So I would have to make sacrifies. When I say spending money its not me in stores buying clothes, its eating out, taking the kids to the movies, bday stuff..ect.. Why is STUFF so important darnit??
Pray for me that I can work it out in my heart that I can see Gods vision for me and my family. I just have this strong feeling that if I do give up my job, that there could be big changes in my life/family.
Love & Miss Yall!!

Scraps2Treasure said...

It's amazing that what we think is important really isn't.
We really miss you all.
James, it was nice to see your parents at church Sunday. They are such awesome people. I guess you were doubly blessed and that why you turned out so great. We have been praying for you and Hannah and the kids. Can't wait to see you all again.
Hugs,
Larry and Trish