Saturday, November 1, 2008

Starting my 30’s and looking back at my 20’s

As most of you know this past Wednesday I turned the big 30. The day started with some fresh homemade cinnamon rolls delivered to our door by the neighborhood baker “Mr. Hugh” that Hannah had him make just for me! The rest was a wonderful day filled with many well wishes including a small clinic birthday party with lunch and cake. Then we had a great meal of homemade chicken nuggets and fries and COKE that we all enjoyed very much! Hannah and the kids also made me some really sweet cards and gave me some super sweet Belizean made chocolate. We finished the night with birthday-cupcakes and Belizean ice cream! It was a really great day, very special! Thank you to all who sent the many happy birthday emails, myspace comments/messages and the one person I got to talk to on Skype (you know who you are).



I have always (well at least for the past 10 years) have somewhat dreaded this birthday because I would be leaving my 20’s “the young age”. But as I look back on the past 10 years, although they have been fantastic, I know the next 10 in my 30’s are going to be equally great if not even better. Here are just a few things that have happened to me in the past 10 years (in my 20’s) not in a particular or exact chronological order:

I traveled to Chile for a medical mission trip

I got engaged to my best friend and love Hannah

I traveled to Kyrgystan (with Hannah) on a medical mission trip

I (with Hannah) spent a few days in London, England

I graduated from Nursing School

I got married to my best friend and love Hannah

I got my first nursing job (and met one of my best friends Chris)

I saw Hannah graduate from nursing school

My first child Lilyan Rain was born

We bought our first house

My first son Aidan Nathanael was born

I graduated from Nurse Practitioner School

I got my first NP job and met a lot of new friends (hi to all at RPC!)

I went on my first cruise

We sold our first house

I lived with my in laws for 3 months (which by the way was really great)

I moved with my family to another country! (where we are now meeting awesome people from all around the world and trying to heal hurts with the love of Jesus)

I would be remiss if I did not mention a few (or actually a lot more) highlight of the past 10 years. To Hannah, you have truly been THE highlight of my 20’s. You have loved me and been the “light in my gray” for every day of my last 10 years. I am who I am because you have been who you are to me; a beautiful, intelligent, compassionate, loving, encouraging, fun, (and hot and sexy) woman. You have helped me and been faithfully at my side through almost every significant stages of my life. You have gracefully and lovingly mothered my beautiful children and most importantly you have been my friend. I love you so much more…

Lily and Aidan have changed my life for the better in so many ways and I pray I that I have done and will continue to do the same for them. I love being a daddy to them. I am torn between looking forward to seeing them grow in the next 10 years and longing for them to stay my little babies… I love you both so much!

It has been such a joy, privilege and honor: seeing my older sister Sarah and her husband have 5 of her 6 wonderful children (Micah was born outside of this 10 year period) and seen them grow up so much as a sweet family. To see Naomi get married to a really cool guy Matthew (who by the way is awesome at ping pong), graduate from college as a teacher, see their first child Ava born, see Matthew graduate from college as a teacher, and to see them grow as a family. To watch Anna grow up into a lovely fun to be around woman (and who is about to graduate from college as a teacher too this December), and to see Bethany mature from my little baby sister into a smart, talented young lady. During all this, seeing my parents not only continue to nurture and love us kids but also take under their parenting wings so many foster children who they have helped and continue to help in ways they will never know this side of Heaven (I love you Mom and Dad).

I have to spend some time on whom I often refer to as “Hannah’s family”, although I definitely claim them as my own. My entire 20’s were around Hannah’s parents Cindy and Debo. I often wondered why they allowed me to “see” Hannah at first, maybe they saw something in me that I did not, but I am very grateful they did not count me out. These 2 people have accepted me into their wonderful family as one of their own. They have been there when my great parents could not and they have endlessly encouraged and supported me (and us as a family). To see Rachel’s family grow has been awesome, and to see her graduate from nursing school was also great. Jeremy and Renee… where do I begin. Although they were married before my 20’s, seeing their 3 great kids born and their family grow and to get to know them both and become like brother and sister has been so awesome and special. Jonah has also grown SO much in the past 10 years into a funny, intelligent young man.

During the entire years of my 20’s, I had the great privilege of being a part of a new and growing church. I grew more with Jesus because the influences of this church (particularly Bro. Freddie and Aunt Deb) than any one single thing in my life. I have best friends due in large part to people I met and lived life with there for so long. I cherish the years I was fortunate enough to lead the all many wonderful loving people there in worship. I will never forget those times… I would like to start naming the names (Allen, Larry) of all the people who have touched my life but it will take way too long and I know I would forget someone and feel bad. So to all of you who were ever in my cell group, on the servant team, or worship team (which by the way covers a LOT of people), and to ALL the other folks, you’re the best. (I also cannot forget to mention my Cornerstone friends who I met in my teens and missed for most of my 20’s: Joel, Dara and the rest of the clan; I miss you guys)!

On a sad note, I saw 2 very special people in my 20’s who I loved very much to go on to be with Jesus, my Nanny and my nephew Josiah. I miss you both.

Last but truly first, the years of my 20’s have been truly blessed by my Father and Friend Jesus Christ. I cannot imagine where I would be and how much I would have messed up all of the above great things in my life if it were not for His great grace and mercies on my life. I love you Lord and I commit the next 10 yrs into your hands.

So to all of you in my life, I look forward to what is in store for us all in my 30’s!

I love you all,

james

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hi James,
This is Jennifer Case--Naomi's friend. (actually Jennifer Kelly now, but anyway). I found your blog through myspace and I wanted to let you know how much I have enjoyed reading your posts. As a fellow Christian and RN, I am deeply touched to read of the Lord's work you and your precious family are doing there in Belize. I can't imagine how hard (and frustrating) it must be to work in a place without all of our American medical luxuries and equipment! However, it seems you have the most important tools--a heart for the Lord and hands to show His love to the people in Belize. I have added you guys to my prayer list. The people of Belize are certainly blessed!
Love in Christ,
Jennifer

Chris Collado said...

Well said brother James. As a 2 year veteran of the fourth decade of life, I would like to welcome you on behalf of all thirty-something people by saying...its not really that bad. I actually don't plan on getting too emotional until I hit the forties of either age or waistline. Here's to the the great adventure. You gotta love it. Give your family our love. See you soon.

The Collados

Renee said...

James,
What an awesome post, so sincere and so emotional. That's what I love about you the most. You have such a big heart and so much love people and your love for the Lord shows in everything you do.
As I sit here thinking back on those same 10 years I get very emotional. It's been great being a part of your life and you know what a HUGE part of our life you have been. I am so greatful to have you in my life as the brother that I never had. I have loved watching our children grow together and being able to tell each other the new things they have learned. I laugh when I think about all the fun times we have had together on all our little and BIG trips. I cherish all the time we have spent at the Yates house on holidays or just little get togethers because we all love spending time together. I loved serving with you in church and on the worship team, you were and are a great leader. I could go on and on, but it would take to long. Don't even get me started on Hannah, she means more to me than she'll ever know. You and Hannah have been such a huge part of our lives and that's why it hurts so much because we are not there to share this part of your journey with you. I know you are doing a great work and those people need you. The Lord has truly blessed you with a gift of helping and loving people and that is huge. Keep up the great work!!! We are so proud of you and we love you so much!!!

Renee

Betty Hodge said...

Wow...I didn't know some of those things that you mentioned. However I do know the impact that you and Hannah both have on people. You both are amazing and admire and higly missed!
LOVEYOU

macoyfamily said...

Our lives go back all thirty.. I won't mention all we've bee through... I love you for loving me! We love your family very much! I am truly blessed to be able to say other than the previous generation... I have know you the longest! No boasting just Blessings! Sending our love for the next thirty years plus! I love you!

ddebbiegirl said...

You are so awesome through God. I love you and have been blessed by your leadership in every way!! Debbie