Saturday, June 27, 2009

Peace despite circumstances

Today when I had finished caring for Blades wounds, I was chatting with him as I often do, I asked him about the small bible he always has lying on his bed. He says it makes him feel better to know it is close by but he cannot read it "because I cannot hold it with my hands". Despite being in a bit of a hurry on a Saturday (my "day off") wanting to get to the sea where Hannah and the kids were swimming, I asked him if he would like me to read to him. He eagerly accepted the offer with gratitude. I asked him what he would like to hear and he chose Psalm 23:

1
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.

2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,

3 he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.

4 Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.

6 Surely goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
forever.

As I read it, he quoted verse 1-2 "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters". As I read these powerful words my heart was convicted and touched at the same time. Here is a 48 year old man, who will never walk again, who is suffering from sores caused by the lack of people in is life who take the time to care about him. No means of earning a living, poor, totally dependent on others for everything, little dignity, who lays in bed 24 hours per day in a small dingy room. Yet, he does not complain, though he has reason to, and above that he is able to say "I shall not want". Oh that I would have the same heart, to depend on God despite the circumstances of life. To find comfort only in God, and to not search for peace in anything else. To not fear, in the face of danger, and to dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Please continue to pray for Blades and for us as we daily speak and show hope and love in this dismal situation.

1 comment:

Betty Hodge said...

WoW that is very touching and hits home with me too.
AND you thought he would be the one being Blessed by reading it to him, while God spoke to your heart too. You know anyone here in the states in our air conditioned homes could sympthize with you and say well he has every right to complain about this or that...look.. at his living conditions. Yet we should all be living KNOWING that God will provide for us in any situation. We should always be grateful and praise him in even the worse or uncomfortable times because doesnt he put us in those places so that we can learn, grow and see his work in our lives? Yet we whine, complain and throw pity parties.
Ive been throwing quite a few pity parties lately with my nephew Chance. Whew... he is just a huge handful and now I have my Dad that I think has alztimers living with me too. I let all of that wear me down into this funk that I couldnt even enjoy seeing Mike take these steps toward HIM!!!
Thanks for sharing this... I really do look forward to reading your blog and sharing what God is doing with your time there.
The kids and I pray daily for you guys and HOPEFULLY soon Mike will be joining us in prayer!!!