Sunday, November 15, 2009

I don't know why. I do know God.

As most of you know, we came home from Belize with a new tiny life inside Hannah. Friday we discovered that this blessing was no longer alive. In my life I have experienced pain and sorrow, but none quite like this. This pain has brought up many questions, the one topping the list being WHY? I just don't understand. Why would this happen? Why be given life, just to have it disappear? Then my mind wanders to all of the other terrible things that have happened to friends and family I know and love.... Why pain? Why death? Why abuse? Why war? Why cancer? Why illness?

The plain fact is, I don't know why and I never will. As all this flowed through my head and heart, I heard God say very quietly: "you don't know why, but you do know me". I don't know why our sweet baby died, but I do know the overwhelming love of my Father God for me. I don't know why we are experiencing this pain, but I do know how much my Jesus cares for me, and how he hurts with me for the life lost. Although I still hurt, what comfort these words provide. There are so many things in life I don't know the "why's" for, but I do know God. So for those of you who have experienced pain and loss with many unanswered why's, my encouragement to you is get to know God and His promises, for it is those things your heart needs most.

2 comments:

Kristi T. said...

We will never know why James and Hannah... I wish we could, but its not for us to know. I'm sorry. My husband and I have felt the loss of two children...and it is by far the worst pain you can endure. It never goes away, but you know as well as we do that we all have our own personal Guardian Angels watching down over us.
Godspeed.

New Creation Blocks said...

To be able to encourage others while still in the throws of grieving....you guys are a very special couple that is for sure!
I love you, thanks for sharing with so much truth. Eric and I will be praying for His loving kindness to awaken you each morning.