Friday, September 26, 2008

My thought on cold showers

As I was showering last night my mind began to meander a bit. Hannah and I have discussed many times in the past what we would miss the most if we were to move to a developing country with lets say less than the normal comforts of home that we have come accustomed to. Hannah’s answer was without doubt air-conditioning, every time. Mine however after careful thought, was a hot shower. I love a really hot steamy shower. The hotter, the better. Well, we are here with neither (or very little) of the things we said believed we would miss the most. However, the interesting thing is that the things we thought we would miss the most are not what we miss the most after all! Not by a long shot. We miss the wonderful relationships we have with you, our family and friends.

Anyways, so as I was saying, here I am taking a cold shower (which by the way feels very nice when you are as hot as we are), and really not missing the hot water all that much, instead I was wondering what all of you were doing and wishing I could be there to do what ever you were doing with you (as long as whatever you are doing was appropriate for me to be doing with you [you get the point]). So I guess what I am saying is that whatever you say you believe to be true has to be tested to prove the accuracy of that truth. Hannah and I believed that God called us to serve in this manner, but you never really know until you test it. God may have told you something or planted something in your heart and you think or even believe it is what God wants you to do now in your life. If so, I encourage you to test it. God is a Big God. There are many references in scripture about testing God, faith etc. You see, now I know for sure what I miss the most. I could have gone my whole life “believing” that I would miss a steamy shower more than your company, but you know, I would not have known that unless I tested what I thought I believed. One of my favorite songs is Sanctuary: “Lord prepare me, to be a sanctuary, pure and holy, tried and true; with thanksgiving, I’ll be a living, sanctuary for you”. Trials and tests bring refinement, truth and clarity to life, so come on and give what’s in your heart a try; you may just find what you are looking for!

No comments: